Sunday 30 September 2012

I Could Not Physically Wait

My eyes needed to see some horror, not  much, but some before it turned October here in the UK.

I started the day with Terminator, which even as a child, I did not find scary... but the follow up... I did. Robert Patrick chasing after Sarah, John and Uncle Bob sets my heart racing. He's got this run, this Tom Cruise style karate chopping the air sort of run... except its scary. Robert Patrick looks like a Shark. He's scarier than Bruce from Jaws. (Cause he's on land, and metal, liquid fraking metal that can form into sharp pointy stabbing objects of death)

Ok so over the past not being a child years that chase scene has not scared me, but today for the first time in years it got my heart pumping and me vocalising nonsense at the television, as you would in a horror film, or as Brenda does in Scary Movie.

It was during Terminator 2: Judgement Day that starting a blog again came to me, had my fair share over the years, or reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Flixter, both of which become spammy, and I DONT LIKE SPAM! (Congrats if you read that in a Monty Python-esque way)

I still do not know what movie to really kick off October with. Suggestions please, actual suggestions for the entire month please. But I did want to watch a horror themed movie tonight, and I opted with 'The 'Burbs' as it has been sitting in front of my television for 2 weeks. I picked it up whilst popping into Morrisons for yogurt on my way back from work one night... I mean for £2 I had to.

My first idea was to watch 'Hocus Pocus' cause bitches love 'Hocus Pocus' but that will have to be saved for later in the month, as close to Halloween as possible. If not actually on Halloween day itself. (Although Silent Hill: Revelation comes out on my birthday so we gotta go see that plus it'll be an Orange Wednesday too, woot for cheapness!)

But then I saw 'The 'Burbs' DVD looking at me... and I hadn't seen it since I was a child.





Damn Tom Hanks is awesome in this, he overacts just enough in certain parts. There's a part where Ray and Art are screaming and the camera pushes in and out repeatedly, its so aware, so over the top, you gotta laugh. 

I give it a 4 on my scale. I don't know how this movie plays to someone that isn't a horror fan, or someone that didn't see it when they were a kid in the early 90s, but to me its a decent fun flick but not a classic.

Maybe this movie is one of the reasons I cannot look at nice looking suburban streets and not be fearful, I think Halloween has more to do with that, but its the scary in plain sight. The scary in normal life that is far more frightening to me than some monster, or something from outer space. 

If you like Gremlins then dig up this lesser known, as far as I know, Joe Dante movie... follow it up with a viewing of The Hole too.



Hasta Luego
-Fake Shemp-




No comments:

Post a Comment